Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Central Library of JNU, New Delhi is inclusive in nature. It has developed a Library Space dedicated to the Visually Impaired students of the University named "Helen Keller Unit (HKU). Helen Adams Keller was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She was the first deaf-blind person to earn a bachelor of arts degree.To inspire the students to learn and to earn many Academic Degree like her, the Unit has been named HKU.
Helen Keller Unit (HKU) is a library space located at the ground floor of the Central Library. To make it accessible the space is without any stair case and near the entrance of the library.
1. 20 Desktop machines with screen reading software Jaws
2. 20 Scanners attached with each Desktop for scanning of documents in hard copy format
3. Kurzweil Software for scanning and OCR of English Language books, documents.
4. Daisy player for recording of lecture issued to each students.
5. Laptops issued to each students loaded with Jaws Software for academic use.
6. Two Braille Printers kept in the HKU for taking printout for VI students as and when required .
7. One Lex Cam Scanner for scanning of books.
8. One Lex Cam Scanner for scanning of books.
9. Headphones are installed with each Desktop and issued to students also.
Sushant K Panigrahi