About the Library
History of JNU Library
The Central Library is a Knowledge Centre which has rich resources mainly in Social Sciences, Humanities and Sciences. It is a nine-storey tower building and has a carpet area of about one lakh sq. ft. It is situated in the midst of the academic complex of the University and is the hub of all the academic activities of the University and provides comprehensive access to books, journals, reports, e-journal/online databases, e-books, electronic theses and dissertations.
Established in 1969, it incorporates the library of the prestigious Indian School of International Studies which was later merged with Jawaharlal Nehru University. The JNU Library is a depository of all Govt. publications and publications of some important International Organisations like WHO, European Union, United Nations and its allied agencies etc.
The Central Library is knowledge hub of Jawaharlal Nehru University, It provides comprehensive access to books, journals, theses and dissertations, reports, surveys covering diverse disciplines.
Location: Jawaharlal Nehru University Campus, New Delhi.The Nine Storey Library building is surrounded by lush, glossy green trees on the natural landscape of Aravali Hills. It is the tallest tower of the Campus.
- To procure, organize and disseminate information in different formats.
- To support and promote the use of rich and diverse collection among the users.
- To preserve and house the collection for posterity.
- To enhance and support the academic environment by providing seamless access to information resources.
- User Satisfaction in terms of Information need.
- Service with a Smile.